"This is a simple and tasty twist on a classic that everyone will enjoy."
autumn turkey casserole
- Prep Time: 40 min.
- Yield: Serves: 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 3 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 ribs of celery, coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour, plus extra for dusting work surface
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups corn kernels (either fresh or thawed frozen)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh tarragon, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 sheet of prepared puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg lightly beaten with 1 tablespoon water
Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, and bay leaves and sauté until tender, approximately 2 minutes. Add ground turkey, seasoned with salt and pepper, and cook through, breaking the meat into medium-sized chunks. Drain fat as desired with large flat spoon. Add carrots and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and mix in celery. Pour mixture into large casserole or 9-by-13-inch baking dish and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Slowly add flour, whisking constantly. Continue whisking and gradually add stock and then milk. Reduce heat and stir until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in corn, peas, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and tarragon. Season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add mixture to casserole and stir to combine with turkey and vegetables. Remove bay leaves.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Roll out pastry onto floured surface and cut out desired autumn leaf shapes with a cookie cutter or a sharp knife. Place pastry pieces over casserole and brush tops with egg mixture. Bake until crust is golden and filling starts to bubble, about 40 minutes.
- Calories per serving 384
- Total Fat 18 g
- Saturated Fat 7 g
- Trans Fat 0 g
- Cholesterol 98 mg
- Sodium 515 mg
- Carbohydrates 27 g
- Dietary Fiber 4 g
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 29 g
- Vitamin A 1%DV
- Vitamin C 0%DV
- Calcium 0%DV
- Iron 0%DV